Attack on Hill 145
On April 9th, 1917, all four Divisions of the Canadian Corps attacked and stormed Vimy Ridge.
After months of careful planning, practice and preparation, almost the entire ridge was captured in a single day. It was one of the Canadian Army’s finest shows of offensive mastery. Exhausted and badly understrength, the remaining men of the 10th Canadian Brigade, including the 50th Battalion were sent to clear Hill 120 on April 12th.
The attack began at 5 am, supported by heavy artillery fire. With blowing wind and snow at their backs the Canadians broke through the remaining German positions, and by that evening, the entire length of Vimy Ridge belonged to the Canadians.
The far north-west of the ridge however, managed to resist immediate capture. On this part of the ridge, both Hill 145 where the Vimy Ridge Memorial now stands and Hill 120, otherwise known as The Pimple, remained in enemy hands.
The following day, April 10th, the 4th Canadian Division again attacked Hill 145 and after much bitter fighting, heavy losses and German counter attacks, finally captured the high point on Vimy Ridge. The only Canadian objective not yet achieved, was the capture of Hill 120.