The Canadian Forces medical Corps had its earliest beginnings as a collection of individually recruited regimental doctors.
These doctors saw their first action while operating field hospitals during the Northwest Rebellion in 1885. The Medical Department of the Canadian Army, was formed in 1899 in response to Canadian participation in the Boer War and by 1902, Canada had a full field hospital operating in South Africa. Soon after the outbreak of World War One, the 1st Canadian General Hospital was in operation and eventually seven Canadian Field Hospitals were created to handle casualties.
During the Second World War the service expanded rapidly and by 1945 was operating five casualty clearing stations as well as twenty-eight general hospitals. The Navy and Air Force established medical services in 1940, which unified with the Royal Army Medical Corps in 1961.
The motto of the Canadian Forces Medical Corps, "Militi Succumimus" reflects the Corps’ resolve: "We hasten to aid the soldier".